Earth Day: Lesson Plans, Reading Lists, and Classroom Ideas
Resources from across the internet for incorporating Earth Day into your magnificence.
Earth Day is proper across the corner. Many educators are making ready training that introduces environmental technology principles for college students. Are you making plans on incorporating Earth Day into your lecture room?
The annual event—which began out in 1970—affords college students with the possibility to discover a number topics, whether or not technology-primarily based totally investigations, thematic analyzing, or innovative arts projects. To assist instructors in brainstorm a few approaches to contain Earth Day into the curriculum, we’ve compiled a listing of sources that provide training, thoughts, recommendations, and sports which might be best for Earth Day. There’s a chunk of everything, which includes lesson plans, gear, sources, and scholar analyzing lists.
EARTH DAY LESSON PLANS
- American Museum of Natural History Curriculum: The AMNH Curriculum Collections phase affords a splendid start line for exploring many exceptional herbal technology topics. From Antarctica to river ecology, there’s a group that may be utilized in nearly any lecture room. Ecology Disrupted, an excessive college getting to know module, works splendidly with this year’s theme: Environmental and Climate Literacy.
- History and Earth Day Learning: TeachingHistory.org produced a wealthy series of training, sports, and quizzes for inspecting the records of Earth Day and conservation. Students can look at number one reassets associated with the environment—like historic topographical maps—and the conservation movement.
- iPad Earth Day Lesson Plans: Apple and the E.O. Wilson Biodiversity Foundation produced those multimedia-wealthy training designed for the iPad. A variety of topics are covered: From water tracking to ecology and weather change. Each lesson’s capabilities lose downloadable iBooks, images, and interactives.
- Nature Works Everywhere: This wealthy series of video lesson plans, created with the aid of using the Nature Conservancy, serves as a splendid start line for in-magnificence examinations of ecology. There are technology-primarily based totally training with accompanying videos, digital discipline experience videos, and Meet the Scientist videos. Plus, with spring almost here, the web website online additionally capabilities a few outstanding gardening sports for college students of all ages.
- Earth Day Network’s Environmental Curriculum: This EDN-produced environmental schooling software capabilities interdisciplinary training, lecture room sports, and gear to help you and your college students discover environmental troubles for the duration of magnificence. Be positive to test out the Climate Education Week toolbox, which capabilities lesson plans for essential college, center college, and excessive college students.
- The EPA’s Lesson Plans and Teacher Resources: The Environmental Protection Agency’s Earth Day internet site affords splendid thoughts, lesson plans, and recommendations for Earth Day to get to know. Check out the training, which cowl number of earth sciences topics, which includes air, ecosystems, weather change, water, and more. All the featured training is to be had for download, and there are sources for each grade.
- Science NetLinks: Earth Day Lesson Collection: This series turned into produced for final year’s Earth Day, however remains applicable this year. Science NetLinks produced a huge listing of training and getting to know gear on a whole lot of earth technology topics, and they’re all clean to browse with the aid of using grade level, subject, and kind of project.
EARTH DAY ACTIVITIES
- Introduction to Earth Day Activity: Want to assist college students to study the records of Earth Day? Start here. This interest from the National Geographic Society gives college students in grades 3–eleven the possibility to examine and speak Earth Day withinside the lecture room. The organization’s training and sports additionally provide a few splendid thoughts for incorporating Earth Day into training.
- Learn About Soil Science on Earth Day: The internet site From the Ground Up, produced with the aid of using Discovery Education and the Nutrients for Life Foundation, gives a whole lot of training, videos, and gear for assisting children dig into soil technology getting to know.
- 22 Interactive Lessons to Bring Earth Day to Life: This roundup of PBS LearningMedia sources is extraordinarily beneficial for instructors. You’ll additionally need to test out PBS LearningMedia’s NOVA Earth System Science lesson plans, which might be standards-primarily based totally sources that look at earth sciences. The PBS series Nature is any other splendid coaching tool.
- Resources to Learn About Recycling: The internet site I Want to Be Recycled is a one-prevent store for college students interested by the technology of recycling. Produced with the aid of using nonprofit Keep America Beautiful, the useful resource capabilities handy statistics approximately recyclable materials, a Recycling one zero one course, and statistics college students can use to get involved. A laugh area to start: the internet-primarily based totally game Super Sorter.
EARTH DAY READING FOR STUDENTS
- Suggest Reading From Project Learning Tree: Looking for an awesome ebook to find out about the environment? You’ll locate lots to select from on this listing from Project Learning Tree. Although it turned produced in 2014, the books are undying and informative, and they’re grouped with the aid of using grade level.
- Earth Day Reading List: Book Culture’s listing capabilities splendid titles for college students in grades K–eight.
- Eight Books for Earth Day and Beyond: Writer Alycia Zimmerman affords 8 books which might be splendid for K–eight.